Skip to main content

Happiness versus Joy

October is Down syndrome awareness month, so like I do every single day, I am thinking about Wes. Specifically, I'm thinking about how amazingly supportive my face-to-face friends and my Facebook friends have been over Wes and Down syndrome in general. People always comment when I post pictures of Wes or when I talk about things that we've done with him. But one of the things that is said most frequently is either, "THEY are always so happy!" or "HE is always so happy." I'm not really offended by it, but it stirs up a little something in me that I think I need to put in words. And please, I get it! When someone says that about a person who has Down syndrome, I realize they are saying it with love and compassion...letting me know that not only do they "see' me and "see" Wes, but that they acknowledge and support us. The intention is good and pure and positive. But let's talk just a minute about the truth...the truth about happiness versus joy.

Yes, Wes is happy sometimes. And sometimes he is not. He has thrown tantrums (not as many as his mama threw), he cries when he's mad (just like his mama), he gets tired, he whines, he grabs, and oh dear god, he used to bite. I mean, come on! He's a toddler! All those things not only describe Wes, they describe most any toddler you've ever been in contact with, right? And that is part of my point...Wes IS any toddler. He just happens to have one extra chromosome. Big whoop! But he is still a toddler...growing into a little boy...seeing, feeling, doing all the things other toddlers and little boys do.

So what prompts the comments of "They are always so happy!"? I believe it is the display of JOY. Without meaning to generalize (it's so hard not to, isn't it?), I think that with that extra 21st chromosome, comes an advanced ability to be true to one's own emotions. By that I mean, the happiness, joy, sadness, frustration that Wes feels is displayed WITHOUT the filter of caring what other people think...without the filter of what's socially appropriate...without the filter of feeling too "mature" to show such emotions...those filters that typical children develop at such a young age and we carry into adulthood. THAT is what I think is being confused with, "He is always so happy." Nope, he's not. He's just always so true, so real, so honest, so un-filtered. And yes, I realize that is not always a good thing, but it is most definitely a remarkable thing!

I read a book recently called Supporting Positive Behavior in Children and Teens with Down Syndrome, by Dr. David Stein. The thing that jumped out at me the most and still sticks with me is this: People with Down syndrome are going to be developmentally delayed somehow...often cognitively. But when it comes to emotional development? They have us beat by a landslide! It's because of those filters they don't carry. I kind of envy that.
So it's okay if you say to me, "He's always so happy." I won't be offended or mad. But I think the truth is that he is so able to show his joy over whatever it is that is making him happy at the moment, that it not only overpowers him, it overpowers all of us. Can you imagine being filled with joy like that? Unadulterated joy...no filters!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expanding Our World

Last night after two long days of traveling, I connived my husband into watching "So You Think You Can Dance" with me.  It's one of my guilty pleasures.  If you've never seen it, there are some really spectacular dancers who show up to audition.  Three judges decide whether the audition is worthy of a trip to Las Vegas for further auditioning.  I find it to be fairly authentic and serious, as opposed to American Idol (which I still watch, BTW) which is often ridiculous and "fake."  Anyway, one of the last dancers to take the stage was a young man named Cody.  Cody has Down syndrome, according to his mom who was sitting in the audience.  It's the first time I've seen a person with Down syndrome audition for any of these kinds of shows.  Cody has some fairly serious speech difficulties, but was able to introduce himself and explain what he was there for--to audition with a hip-hop piece.  He then said that the reason he came was that he was a fan of Ja

The Backstory

May 12, 2015 This is my blog...my first blog.  It's called "Loving Baby J."  So I think I'll start by telling you who Baby J is.  Baby J. is my soon-to-be grandson--our first grandchild!  And Baby J. has Down syndrome.  I think I'd better start at the beginning. We've been hoping for a grandchild for a very long time, as our two children are in their mid- to late thirties.  Christmas Day of 2014 we got the long-anticipated phone call.  Our daughter and son-in-law had just discovered they were pregnant!  I can't even describe the excitement and anticipation we felt, even though it was very, very early in the pregnancy.  There were some ups and downs over the next couple months for our daughter (not us--we remained ecstatic!).  She worried about carrying a baby at age 34-35, but when she saw her first ultrasound pictures, she made it over that worry hump.  In fact, she was so much over the worry that we both started buying lots of "gender-neutral&quo

New Insight

Today has brought on some very new and interesting insights.  I want to start with my daughter.  As I said earlier, Jaime and I have always been very close.  But I've always thought of her even at this age as "my little girl."  I know.  Kind of silly.  I mean, she is 35 years old.  But it's a mom thing.  So when she and Ryan got pregnant, I still thought like that.  And I thought that way when she called with this news of Down syndrome--I needed to be the comforting mom.  But in the past 48 hours something has completely changed.  I see her now for the amazing woman she has become.  She has taken this news and just run with it!  She's made contacts and done research; she's cried; she's rebounded.  But most of all I have sensed this intense resolve...a tangible change I can feel through the phone.  I am in awe!  And I am so very proud!  She and Ryan have GOT this! :)