Skip to main content

Yes, He Has Down Syndrome AND Friends

In my last blog post, I made this statement concerning Wes's "exuberant" loving (i.e., grabbing and biting other children):

"I realize that this is toddler behavior and that he will outgrow it, but because I already have a fear of his not being accepted by other children, this was difficult to witness." 

The post was written on the day that I had taken Wes to his music class and witnessed him not only making some other children cry with his forceful hugging, but I had also witnessed the looks in some of those little kids' eyes.  It was a little bit devastating.  So when I made the statement that I realized it was just toddler behavior, blah, blah, blah, that was my head talking, not my heart.  My heart was screaming, "Please, other children and your parents, understand that he is a toddler and he just really loves you, and please don't avoid him and run away in terror because he bit your ear."

So it was with delight and complete relief that I saw a picture that my daughter posted the other day.  I mean, I wouldn't have to fake it anymore!  I refer to fake believing that he would outgrow this and other kids would accept him.  Let's be blunt...I've been afraid he wouldn't have friends because he has Down syndrome.  Ridiculous, you say?  It's a common fear.  But then I heard all about his little friend Jack (not his real name.  I'm no dummy, here!) and how they have learned to play together at the park.  And that, my friends, is why I smiled today...not cried, but smiled, and I'm still smiling.  I mean, look!  Are you serious?  I forget sometimes that the world can be this doggone CUTE!!!


  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expanding Our World

Last night after two long days of traveling, I connived my husband into watching "So You Think You Can Dance" with me.  It's one of my guilty pleasures.  If you've never seen it, there are some really spectacular dancers who show up to audition.  Three judges decide whether the audition is worthy of a trip to Las Vegas for further auditioning.  I find it to be fairly authentic and serious, as opposed to American Idol (which I still watch, BTW) which is often ridiculous and "fake."  Anyway, one of the last dancers to take the stage was a young man named Cody.  Cody has Down syndrome, according to his mom who was sitting in the audience.  It's the first time I've seen a person with Down syndrome audition for any of these kinds of shows.  Cody has some fairly serious speech difficulties, but was able to introduce himself and explain what he was there for--to audition with a hip-hop piece.  He then said that the reason he came was that he was a fan of Ja

The Backstory

May 12, 2015 This is my blog...my first blog.  It's called "Loving Baby J."  So I think I'll start by telling you who Baby J is.  Baby J. is my soon-to-be grandson--our first grandchild!  And Baby J. has Down syndrome.  I think I'd better start at the beginning. We've been hoping for a grandchild for a very long time, as our two children are in their mid- to late thirties.  Christmas Day of 2014 we got the long-anticipated phone call.  Our daughter and son-in-law had just discovered they were pregnant!  I can't even describe the excitement and anticipation we felt, even though it was very, very early in the pregnancy.  There were some ups and downs over the next couple months for our daughter (not us--we remained ecstatic!).  She worried about carrying a baby at age 34-35, but when she saw her first ultrasound pictures, she made it over that worry hump.  In fact, she was so much over the worry that we both started buying lots of "gender-neutral&quo

New Insight

Today has brought on some very new and interesting insights.  I want to start with my daughter.  As I said earlier, Jaime and I have always been very close.  But I've always thought of her even at this age as "my little girl."  I know.  Kind of silly.  I mean, she is 35 years old.  But it's a mom thing.  So when she and Ryan got pregnant, I still thought like that.  And I thought that way when she called with this news of Down syndrome--I needed to be the comforting mom.  But in the past 48 hours something has completely changed.  I see her now for the amazing woman she has become.  She has taken this news and just run with it!  She's made contacts and done research; she's cried; she's rebounded.  But most of all I have sensed this intense resolve...a tangible change I can feel through the phone.  I am in awe!  And I am so very proud!  She and Ryan have GOT this! :)